Search This Blog

Monday 27 September 2010

And So It Begins With A Dirty Mixing Bowl...


This blog is dedicated to baking, and those that truly understand what it mean to make delicious things with flour, eggs, sugar and butter.

 I guess my love of baking all started with a mixing bowl my mother handed too me. I think I must have been about 3 years old, because I distinctly remember standing on a plastic crate given to us from the pub down the road. This bowl held no magical properties, It was not self washing, It couldn't be trusted to babysit a child and It certainly didn't know how to walk the dog. It did however contain manna from heaven, Or at least what passes as manna from heaven when you are 3 years old...
In reality it contained what I now know to be Victoria Sponge batter (that links to the exact recipe my mother uses. I like to replace the Jam and Cream with a ginger buttercream and a little orange marmalade...trust me on this one!) When I realised that this glorious tasting mixture was made from simple flour, eggs sugar and butter I set aside the mixing bowl and insisted that my mother showed me exactly how it was made.
After that first incident, you would often find me in front of the oven at any given time, watching in awe as something sticky messy and glorious tasting (the various cake batters I demanded to taste over the years) turning into smooth, pale and then golden brown delights.
Soon i was making my Own creations. Some were truly spectacular (the inspired idea of putting Smarties into cupcakes instead of chocolate chips) and some not so (Marmite and chocolate sponge...DO NOT TRY THIS!)
So that pretty much brings us to now. Aged 24 I live with my fiancee and we have a gorgeous kitchen. Its not huge, but by no means is it a broom cupboard. It is from here that I will be trying all manner of things and letting you know wether they should be re-created or disintegrated. 
Any and All suggestions welcome, and Happy Baking!


1 comment:

  1. BLOG! This is a great idea, sugar. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete